Moving on...

My time at Groundwork Cheshire, Lancashire and Merseyside is now coming to a close as the end date of my contract looms. My time with Groundwork has been invaluable and I have transformed my loose grasp of ecological science into a somewhat professional understanding. The opportunity to study conservation and ecology alongside the team at Groundwork has been hugely educational. As someone from a media background, I have gained a great deal of insight and I would argue that I attained more practical experience working in river conservation than  I would have got studying a conversion course.

Whilst I am sad to leave the Love My River project, the feeling is bittersweet as I have been accepted to study wildlife documentary production at the University of Salford. After graduating in film and media studies I applied to study wildlife documentary but was urged to gain some experience in areas of zoology, ecology or conservation. Thanks to Groundwork I came back a year later with a newfound knowledge and was offered an unconditional offer following my application interview. 

During my time studying freshwater habitats I realised how delicate the balance of nature really is, yet is somehow resilient to the continuous damage that we cause from disregard and carelessness. Sadly, however, I don't think there is much resilience left. As pollution events are increasingly occurring and governments continue to turn a blind eye it is more important than ever that we begin to act more responsibly.

My work has taught me how localised conservation really is. It starts with the individual in their own home, it's the small choices we make that collectively result in a positive impact on the environment. I hope that you have enjoyed my blogs and maybe even learnt something new from them. As I continue my career and head down the path of documentary production I will continue to advocate the need for conservation and public education. Thanks to everyone at Groundwork and the Douglas Catchment Partnership for a great year!


Comments

Popular Posts